… for delicious BBQ (for a small fee), moon bounces, kids’ games, face paining, bingo, great prizes and of course music! This outreach to the Oasis neighborhood is a perfect time to get to know inner city families in an environment that is casual and fun for every age! We encourage you to bring your family, friends, small group or neighbors to enjoy the day’s FREE festival! We also are in need of volunteers & donations. For more information contact Terrice.
Interested In Changing Lives? Then Love On A Child!
Positive role models are a huge key to life transformation for our kids; and it takes less time than you would think. Please pray about spending a few hours a month through one of these opportunities! Try it out for a couple months and see if it is for you. Contact Terrrice Thomas, 901-527-0074, with questions or for more information.
– Read 2 Succeed: reading with elementary students; M/T/W 4:30-6pm
– KIPP Middle School Tutoring: M/T/W/Th 9:30-3:15p (one hour time slots), T/W/Th 5:15-6pm & some Saturdays 9-11am
- Caldwell-Guthrie Elementory Tutoring: T/Th 10:30-1:30p (one hour time slots)
- Middle School Bible Study: Th 2:30-4pm (*NEW!! Please consider joining us for this! It’s guaranteed to be LIVELY!)
– Ambassadors High School Bible Study; Th 5-6pm
- Sports Coach: youth baseball or basketball; times vary
1) More than 500 School Supply Backpacks Distributed!
We thank God for ALL who gave to the school backpack drive! More than 500 filled backpacks were given to students in need of these essential items!
2) Almost 1,000 Books were Donated Through the Book Drive!
New elementary age books were given to the Read 2 Succeed library! Sometimes the right book is what it takes to inspire a young child to read beyond anything they’ve done before. Thank you volunteers for your donations!
3) Over 1,000 School Uniform Items Were Received!
Grace School from Houston, TX donated SIX large boxes of uniforms! They transitioned to a new uniform for the 2011-12 school year and had over a thousand pieces of gently used khaki pants, skirts, shorts and white shirts that they gave to Oasis! They found out about us by doing a Google search of various ministries across the county, and our website stood out to them! We are currently in the process of sorting and distributing the uniforms to our neighborhood kids! What a blessing!
Basketball & the Inner City … They Just Go Together
We are kicking off another round of Fall basketball competition for our middle school boys in partnership with Memphis Athletic Ministries. Each week our volunteer coaches pick up the players, coach them in both basketball and spiritual topics, and often treat them to an after-game meal as well (not to mention those who wash those stinky uniforms week after week – thank you!). Sports are a great way to build relationships with kids and we are grateful to our volunteers for investing in the boys like this! If you would like to join in on the fun, email Terry for more information.